Studying at PRECE

Studying at PRECE
Students from PRECE study together under the juazeiro tree in small groups using cooperative learning

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Life is GREAT... but, my transportation karma is BAD

The pieces to my life in Fortaleza, Brasil are finally starting to fit together and like any true A-type personality I am feeling a sense of peace and relief now that progress is being made. Granted, the progress is slow, but it is progress nonetheless.

A week and a half after I purchased my bed and my dresser/closet combo they were finally delivered and assembled. My room is finally set up and I am unpacked. For those of you who know me well and have lived with me, I typically like to have everything unpacked and all the decorations in place within 3 days of moving in to a new place. 2 weeks for one room was testing my patience! But, as I said progress is being made!

I have begun working. I use the term working lightly because a lot of what I am doing right now is getting to know and fully understand PRECE- their history, the complexity of the movement, the vision, etc. so that I can be of the most benefit to the program. That being said, I have begun teaching an English class to high school/college students twice a week at PRECE Benfica and it seems to be going really well. The students are all so sweet and so eager to learn! They are so fun to work with and I am really enjoying my time with them. I have also been attending meetings of the cooperative learning program at the university (below). One hope is that I will design a curriculum/program for an English language school at PRECE using the cooperative learning methodology as well as the internet and an e-learning program. And, much to my surprise (because of what seemed to be some insurmountable obstacles) progress on the internet in our pilot location (Ombreira) has begun. This weekend I will be heading out to the country to spend time at Ombreira meeting with the program coordinator and some of the student leaders! I can't wait to get back out to the country where PRECE has its roots. There is something powerful and unexplainable about being there!

And, luckily (thank you, Jesus!!!) I am beginning to better understand Portugues. I can't quite describe the frustration I feel when I am unable to relay my thoughts and feelings to someone and when I am unable to engage in meaningful conversation. I feel so hopeless!! And, that is a horrible feeling. But, slowly but surely I am beginning to follow conversations. Progress is being made!

Now, though this city is quite complicated to navigate I thought that I had made some progress in that area also. For example: Can I make it from my house to the mall/grocery store/school and back? YES! Can I take the bus from the main university campus to the other campus? EASILY! Do I have a safe jogging route to the beach and back? NATURALLY (with yoga on the beach as my 1/2 way mark!)! Do I know how to get to capoeira class and stay only on the outside of the circle without actually having to do anything in front of other people? YOU BET! Can I take the bus to the beach for sun bathing, reading and relaxing? OF COURSE! Can I make it home.... errrr.... ???? And, this is where my bad transportation karma kicks in!

Yesterday I had a pile of reading to do on cooperative learning. So, I figured that there is no better place to read than on the beach and I was brave enough to take a new bus to the beach by myself. And, if I do say so myself, I did it masterfully! In fact, I found my way to the beach, took a long walk, finished my reading, purchased some snacks and sweet talked (ha! in Portuguese!) my way in to a ritzy athletic club (see the pic below- right behind the beach before the high rises) where I met the sport director and tennis pro and finagled my way in to a free tennis lesson this morning (typically it is $50 an hour to play!). And, I made it home, safe and sound.

Today, however luck was not on my side. Why you ask? Well, I, of course am not willing to accept full responsibility but I will explain to you why I am not to blame! A little history- workers in Brasil go on strike... a lot. Professors, maintenance workers, bus drivers. The bus strike started in May when they were revising their contracts... and it is still going. Last night I got word that today many of the drivers were going to strike again. But, I was not going to be detered! I had a (free!) tennis game this morning! Luckily "Circullar 2" was running early this morning and I made it down to the beachside athletic club in plenty of time. On my way home I had assumed I would have the same luck. Not so! I waited at the same bus stop and hopped on the first "Circullar" bus that came my way. When I noticed that the bus driver was headed straight toward the favelas (slums) on the opposite side of town I began to get a little nervous. And, when he turned in to a gigantic bus terminal and every other person got off the bus I knew that I had made a mistake! In my broken Portugues I asked the driver what was happening and why the "Cirrcular" bus wasn't taking me to my neighborhood. I don't know exactly what he said, but the words "nao" "onibus" and "greve" stood out to me. He was telling me that the bus I needed was on strike and I had gotten on the wrong bus (Grande Circullar) which took me no where close to where I needed to be!!! Luckily, in true Brasilian fashion the bus driver(S!) patiently explained to me the situation, the bus I needed to take to get home, where to find that bus and that I would be just fine!! So, after waiting for what seemed like an eternity (keep in mind I had only had a piece of bread with honey before playing tennis for an hour and a half in the hot Brasilian sun... and my water bottle was nearly empty!) the bus came and I hopped on. It was truly another adventure as I traveled through new parts of town and attempted to get my bearings. We had finally made it back to a part of town that I recognized when I heard a strange sound coming from the bus!! Yep, you guessed it!... two flat tires!! It was a good thing I was still in my tennis clothes because there was no way I was waiting around for another bus so I started walking. Of course, the part of town that I recognized didn't mean that I was actually anywhere near my house! So, 30 minutes later, without a drop of water left in my water bottle I arrived at home... with just enough time to jump in the shower, grab a quick lunch and head out the door to meet with a group of children from one of the partner churches. Whew!!! I love this place, but they sure do make it rough on an American girl who is used to having everything at her fingertips!!! Everyday is a lesson in patience, but like I said... slowly but surely progress is being made:).

1 comment:

  1. Friend! It's been really enjoyable to read about your journey here in Brazil. I think I understande a little bit some troubles that you've passed through, because, like you, I lived in a foreinger land and it's very hard to get used. But what I can say is that you've been really brave and I congratulate you. Oh, and sorry about buses here, they are really chaotic, even for a brasilian like me.

    But know that I really like to have you here.

    beijos!
    Isabela

    ReplyDelete