Studying at PRECE

Studying at PRECE
Students from PRECE study together under the juazeiro tree in small groups using cooperative learning

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Let me introduce my Brasilian family...

In the United States I am lucky to have a never ending circle of family members. They are, of course my biological parents, sister and grandparents who I love more than words can say. But they are also those people who have encouraged me and loved me through all of my joys and frustrations- from childhood to two weeks ago. Without them I would not be who I am today, and every day I thank God for blessing me with their presence. In Brasil I am so blessed to be surrounded and loved by an equally amazing circle of support.

The Andrade family, as many of you know, created the foundation for the PRECE movement and is guiding every step of the journey. Dona Fransisca (with whom I share a birthday! see picture to the left!) and her husband Areo open up their home to the many visitors of PRECE, their son Professor Manoel Andrade can be named as the "founder" and General Coordinator of PRECE (though in his modesty he always credits the first 7 students as the true founders), and each of the 10 Andrade children is somehow involved in the PRECE movement. They are some of the most hospitable people I have ever met as they are continuously opening their doors to friends and strangers alike, preparing great spreads of food for the hungry traveler and all the while stopping at nothing to improve the public education system in Ceará. Dona Fransisca even built a church on the side of her house because she recognized the need of the community!!

The best word to describe Manoel Andrade's family (see picture to the right) is "inspiring", and those of you who have met Andrade, Ana Maria, Alzira, Alice and Ester know so well the charm they bring to everything they do. It may be Andrade's insistence to continue the fight until real change is made and lives are improved, or it could be the energy Ester brings when she comes bouncing in to a room, the quiet beauty of Alice or the determination of Ana Maria and Alzira. Whatever it is, the spirit of this family is truly amazing.

Then, of course there is my family- those who have opened their doors to me, prepared a bedroom for me, handed over keys (and trust!) and welcomed me in to their home- Dona Arneide, Carol and Iasmyne (see picture to the left). Those of you who know me well know how much I love to live alone- to walk around all day in my pajamas (or less!), to clean up my mess and my mess only, to not have to tip toe when I come home at 3 a.m. and to be accountable to only me. So, when you heard that I would be living with a family (all adults, but still, other people) you were justified in your concerns. But, you need not fret because these three women are amazing. They provide all the support and guidance I need but at the same time they are able to read me and give me my independence. I have discovered, living with them, that Brasilian women, like women all over the world, are everyday miracles. The thing I appreciate the very most is that they will teach me how to do something once and then expect me to do it by myself the next time. They don't do it for me, they don't hold my hand and expect me to follow behind them, and they don't treat me like a child. They lead by example and then expect me to make my own footprints. This might sound like a simple thing, but it hasn't been my experience with everyone in Brasil- especially many Brasilian men. So, this is my quick shout out: Thank you to women everywhere who help others stand on their own two feet!!

Many weekends I travel the dirt roads all the way to Cipó and the other small rural communities. When I do this I stay at the Andrade's farmhouse. But, some weekends I stay in Ombreira only teaching there. When this is the case I stay with Dona Luiza and Antonio, the parents of Ana Maria. Here Dona Luiza and I have conversations about anything and everything. The problem is, most of the time she can't understand me and I can't understand her, but that doesn't stop us. One of us will talk while the other smiles and nods. And, vice versa. Her husband, the quiet type, will sit on the porch sewing a fishing net which is truly an accomplishment. They, and their daughter Lucia (photo to the right), stop at nothing to make me feel comfortable... and very well fed. It only took them a month to finally realize and actually believe that I am happiest with a piece of bread, some cheese and a cup of my favorite tea- Capim Santo (delicious grass from the yard!). So, now when I wake up I am always greeted with hot tea, fresh bread, farm cheese and scrambled eggs. Occasionally they will try to sneak in fish (because they have learned well that I don't eat any other type of meat!) but they know I am satisfied with simple food!
Those of you from the various churches know the Oliveira family well and you know of their care for all persons and their willingness to wrap everyone in their loving embrace. It was Aureo who first began making the connections between his church/seminary in Fortaleza and many of the churches in the U.S. Pastor Aureo is instantly a pastor, guide and well of strength for all who cross his path and Dona Ruthe knows no stranger. They are a phenomenal couple and I am so lucky to consider their children Iriana, Marcos and Mauricio as some of my best friends!

I of course would be remiss if I neglected to mention Mauricio and Isabela. These two are my lifeline in Brasil. Isabela, after living with me in Atlanta for 3 months, knows me better than anyone else here. She can read my frustrations, my joys and my concerns before I even speak. She understands my broken portugues and I can always depend on her to help with whatever I need- a glass of wine or help finding a portugues teacher. And, Mauricio is more similar to me than almost anyone I have ever met. Somehow I often think that we are the same spirit walking different paths. He can both drive me crazy and keep me sane in the same breath, and without him I would be lost. These two are truly my saving grace in a country I am still seeking to understand.
I once gave a painting to my best friend Pegah that says, "Your true family is not one merely of blood but of love and respect in each other's lives". Never before has that quote been more appropriate than now.

4 comments:

  1. Great! So sweet! Thanks for be here with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In this blog you show to us a really special person that you are. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frieeend! Almost made me cry!
    Love you :)
    Isabela

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that you are surrounded by such wonderful and loving people!! Thank you for sharing this post with the blogging world!!

    ReplyDelete